Monday, October 11, 2010

Thanksgiving Sweet Cola Ribs

Today is Canadian Thanksgiving.  I decided that Turkey is over rated and I decided to make BBQ ribs, scallop potatoes, squash and corn for supper.  For dessert I made Pecan Pie Bars.  I enjoyed this thanksgiving dinner and I think that the rest of my family did as well.  Although three of my kids did not eat the scallop potatoes.  I would like to believe that it was because they were too full from all the other food they ate this week-end.  I would make these ribs again.  My husband said that they were the best ones I have made so far, quite a compliment because I thought that some of the other ones were pretty yummy tasting.  I think that it was the BBQ sauce and spice rub that he liked, it was sweet and a little bit spicy and I think that he liked the little extra kick.  Enjoy!


Original Recipe the Neely's


Ingredients
Sweet Cola Barbecue Sauce:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups ketchup
1 can cola
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Dry Rub:
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions
2 racks pork spare ribs (about 3 pound each)

For the sauce:
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add oil. Once heated, add the onion and garlic and saute until tender. Add all the remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.
For the dry rub:
Whisk all dry ingredients together in a small bowl. This can be stored up to 6 months in an airtight container.
For the ribs:
Rinse and dry ribs. Place on a clean cutting board, pull off the membrane and trim the ribs of excess fat. Liberally season both sides of the ribs with rub. Wrap ribs with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 to 12 hours so flavors can permeate.
Preheat grill to 250 degrees F. Set up your grill for indirect heat.
Place ribs, meatier side down, away from the heat. Close grill cover. Cook the pork ribs for 1 hour 15 minutes; flipping several times for even cook. *Coat ribs with Sweet Cola Barbecue Sauce and cook for another 20 minutes.
*Reserve some of the sauce for dipping when the ribs are served.

No comments:

Post a Comment