Friday, October 22, 2010

Barley Risotto Stuffed Mushrooms

I have been inspired to start stuffing stuff, like my husband's belly.  The other night when I was making the Healthy Chile Relleno, I was thinking what else could I stuff.  When I was at the grocery store and saw the discount portabella mushrooms and I knew that I could not pass them up.  Today I had an inspiration, barley risotto stuffed mushrooms.  These were yummy, although my kids did not think so.



Ingredients
4 or 5 cups of chicken broth
4 slices bacon, thinly chopped
2 onions, peeled and chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup barley, pearl or pot
Salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon sage
8 Portabella Mushroom caps
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Parmigiana regianno cheese


Directions
In one pot heat the broth to a gentle simmer.
In another pot fry the bacon over medium-high heat, until crisp and golden brown.
Add the onions and garlic and sauté until soft and golden.
Add the barley and stir for a few moments until well coated with bacon fat and heated through.
Add 1 cup or so of the hot chicken broth and stir until it is fully absorbed. Continue to add broth, 1 ladle-full at a time, letting it absorb fully before adding the next ladle.
Continue simmering until the barley is tender.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in sage.
Meanwhile brush the mushrooms with olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper.  Grill for 10 to 12 minutes flipping halfway through.  Remove from grill.  Fill with the warm risotto and top with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment