Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Key Lime Pie Ice Cream

While I was at the grocery store the other day I spotted bags of key limes.  I immediately grabbed two bags as I had been waiting to try my hand at making a real key lime pie.  I went home and searched through my cookbooks to find a good key lime pie recipe.  I settled on this recipe from Anna Olson.  The recipe said that traditionally key lime pie is not cooked but that the filling cooks withe acidity of the limes.  I was skeptical but decided to give it a try.  I spend 1 hour juicing and zesting all my key limes.  They are much smaller they regular limes and thus take a long time.  I then made my pie and put in in the fridge anxiously waiting for my first bite the next day.  I was sorely disappointed.  When I cut into the pie it ran all over the place, it had not set.  I am not sure if it was just a bad recipe or if I did something wrong because my Grandma said that does not cook her key lime pie either, I guess next time I will have to try Grandma's recipe.  However, I was not about to let all that delicious filling go to waste, so I pulled my trustee ice-cream maker out of the freezer and scooped the filling into it.  Half an hour later I had homemade key lime pie ice-cream.  It is creamy, smooth and not hard like regular homemade ice-cream because of all the sugar.  However it is also very tart so you only need a small scoop.  So I would not recommend making this pie and you could try your hand and turning it into ice-cream!





Ingredients
Crust
3 cups graham cookie crumbs
1 cup sweetened coconut
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter
Filling
3x7 ounce tins condensed milk
12 ounces pasteurized egg yolks (about 12 yolks)
1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons lime zest
Directions

To Assemble
CRUST: Preheat oven to 375° F. Combine chocolate cookie crumbs, coconut and salt. Stir in melted butter and blend until an even, crumbly texture. Press crust into an ungreased 9 1/2-inch springform pan. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes, until coconut browns. Allow to cool.
FILLING: Whisk together all ingredients until smooth and pour into baked pie shell. Chill for at least 4 hours before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment