Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins



As a result of it being thanksgiving week-end the grocery stores were just bursting with fresh produce. While I was shopping I spotted bags of fresh cranberries and picked some up. I had not yet decided what I was making for thanksgiving dinner and thought if I was making turkey I could make a cranberry sauce with the kids. When I decided to make ribs for thanksgiving supper I needed something to do with my cranberries so I decided to try this recipe by Anna Olson using fresh cranberries instead of the dried ones I normally use. The muffins turned out, light and sweet. The tart cranberries were a nice contrast in both colour and taste to the sweet pumpkin.





Yield: 48 mini muffins or 24 regular muffins
Ingredients
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 egg
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
zest of one orange
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup orange, juice
1 1/2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen

Directions
Preheat oven to 325ºF.
Sift together flour, baking soda and powder, salt and spices and set aside.
In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and stir in pumpkin purée, orange zest and vanilla. Stir in orange juice. Add dry ingredients in additions and blend just until incorporated. Fold in cranberries.
Spoon batter into muffin tins and bake in center of oven for 15-20 minutes until a tester inserted into the muffins comes out clean. Allow to cool before eating.
I have also made these muffins using dried cranberries and had it turn out quite nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment