Thursday, October 28, 2010

Savory Mummy Meatloaf

I was browsing the web for Halloween supper ideas and I came across a mummy meatloaf recipe here.  My kids enjoy meatloaf so I thought they would enjoy this supper.  I served it with swamp thing macaroni.  I adapted a meatloaf recipe from this book that my dad gave me.  While the meatloaf was tasty, the cheese did not work.  I thought that American cheese meant processed cheese slices which I do not usually buy but decided that my kids could have as a treat, the cheese just melted right off.  If anyone knows what exactly American cheese slices are please let me know!  At least it still tasted good!


Savory Mummy Meatloaf
2 pounds lean ground chicken
1/4 cup onions
1 cup oatmeal
1 egg
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon mustard
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1 cup spaghetti sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine beef, onions, oatmeal, egg, salt, pepper, mustard, BBQ sauce and spaghetti sauce.  Mix well.  Shape loaf to resemble a mummy's body with crossed arms.  Bake 45 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Let it rest about 3 minutes, then lay 1-inch-wide strips of American cheese across the body as shown, leaving a narrow space on the head for the hot dog slice eyes. Trim any overhanging cheese with scissors and return the mummy to the still-warm oven to slightly melt the cheese, about 1 minute.
Mummy meatloaf

No comments:

Post a Comment