Monday, October 11, 2010

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

One of my favourite soups is squash and I have a little boy who asks for squash soup every night for supper.  The problem is that I am trying to make a different meal every night for 365 days, thus my began my search for a new squash soup.  I stumbled upon this recipe  by the Barefoot Contessa and decided to try it.  I was pleasantly surprised the soup was rich and yummy and it tasted completely different from the other squash soup that I make.  Roasted the vegetables really brought out a sweet flavour.  However, my son, whom I made this soup for, at his request refused to eat it.  It looked different then my usual squash soup so he would not even try it.  My husband said that he liked it better then my usual soup.  So at least someone liked it!




Ingredients
3 to 4 pounds butternut squash, peeled and seeded
2 yellow onions
2 McIntosh apples, peeled and cored
3 tablespoons good olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 to 4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
1/2 teaspoon good curry powder
Condiments for serving:
Scallions, white and green parts, trimmed and sliced diagonally
Homemade croûtons
Grated cheese
Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Cut the butternut squash, onions, and apples into 1-inch cubes. Place them on a sheet pan and toss them with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Divide the squash mixture between 2 sheet pans and spread in a single layer. Roast for 35 to 45 minutes, tossing occasionally, until very tender.
Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock to a simmer. When the vegetables are done, add them to the stock and use an immersion blender to puree. Add the curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Taste for seasonings to be sure there's enough salt and pepper to bring out the curry flavor. Reheat and serve hot with condiments either on the side or on top of each serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment