Thursday, October 28, 2010

Swamp Things

I decided to make some Halloween meals as a special treat for my kids.  Again I saw a picture of this recipe and decided to make it for my kids.  My mother-in-law has just given me this cookbook so I decided to try the macaroni and cheese recipe from it.  My kids did not mind the macaroni and cheese but my husband and I found it to be a little bit pasty.  I might try it again but add some meat to flavour it a little bit more.  I served it with savory mummy meatloaf.


Macaroni and Cheese
1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 TBSP all purpose flour
1/2 cup nonfat milk
1/2 cup purred butternut squash
11/2 cups shredded cheese
4 ounces cream cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp pepper

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, add the macaroni, and cook according to package directions until al dente.  Drain.
2.  While the macaroni is cooking add the oil, then the flour to a large saucepan and cook stirring constantly, until the mixture resembles a thick paste but has not browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
3.  Add the milk and whisk until mixture begins to thicken, 3 to 4 minutes.  Add the squash, cheddar cheese, cream cheese and seasonings and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.  Stir in the macaroni.
4.  Spoon it into greased muffin cups and bake until firm, about 25 minutes. 
5.  Let the creatures rest for about 10 minutes, then gently remove them from the tins. Place them upside down and add hot dogs slices for eyes.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment