Monday, March 14, 2011

Healthy Butternut Squash Donut Muffins

My mother in law got me the cookbook Deceptively Delicious quite a while ago.  I decided I was going to try out some of the recipes in it  I made my kids the donuts.  The recipe called for pumpkin and sweet potatoe puree but agiain in the spirit of cleaning out my freezer I used butternut squash puree. I also do not have a donut pan so I made muffins instead.  My kids loved these muffins and you could not tell that I used squash insteaad of the other stuff.  In fact three out of four of them asked for thirds.  They were moist and flavourful adn were very good for them.  These will definatley make thier way into my regular rotation.  I wonder what other puree would taste good in there?



Here's my version

1/2 c packed brown sugar
1 c squash puree
1/2 c milk
1 egg white
1 T butter (it calls for melted, but I didn't bother...room temp is fine)
1 t vanilla
1 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t powder
1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
powdered sugar

preheat oven to 350

Mix it all together and pour into greased muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool on rack and dust with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment