Monday, March 28, 2011

Banana Pecan Oatmeal Brulee

My kids have been complaining that they are sick of oatmeal for breakfast so I thought I would change it up and still make them oatmeal but make them an oatmeal treat.  I decided to try this oatmeal brulee, it was a big flop.  Not one of my kids liked it and they all complained about having to eat it.  I was diheartened.  I tried to make them something something special and no one like it.  Scartch this one of my list (as an aside I personally thought that it was quite good)



Banana Pecan Oatmeal Brûlée
4 cups water
1 cup steel cut oats
pinch of salt
1/4 cup milk
1 – 2 tablespoons butter
1 large banana, sliced
2 – 3 tablespoons brown sugar
1. Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan (or large saucepan if making several servings at once).  Stir in oats and salt, if using, and immediately reduce heat to low.  Watch carefully, because the water might foam up and boil over.  (If using an electric stove, and the water foams up before the burner cools down enough, briefly lift the pan off the heat and the foam will subside.)  Simmer uncovered over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes or until oats are of desired texture.
2. Remove oatmeal from heat and stir in milk and butter.  Pour oatmeal into a small casserole dish (about 1 1/2 quarts) and arrange banana slices over the top.  Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the top of the bananas.  Put casserole under a preheated broiler until sugar starts to melt (watch carefully, it happens pretty fast). Serve warm.
Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment