Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Toad in a Hole

I am not English, nor have I ever been to England as a result I had no idea what Toad in a Hole was until I read about it on a lovely blog.  I was so intrigued by the title and the picture I thought I would make it for my family.  I sounded like something they would like, it is basically a fancy way to make sausage and eggs.  They did enjoy this meal, and it was simple and quick.  I will be making this again.  Although I don' know when becuase I have not repeated a meal since January 1, 2010, Yeah me!


Toad in a Hole

Toad in a Hole:
small pork sausages
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
Onion Gravy:
1oz butter
2 red onions
1 small garlic clove
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp coarse mustard
worcestershire sauce
dried thyme
pepper
salt



Directions:
1.  Pour 2 tbsp olive oil in a baking tray and shuffle those PORK sausages around until all sides are brushed with oil. Pop them in a preheated oven and bake at 400F (200C) for 10 minutes.
2.  Time to make the batter. Lazy cook alert, I use my food processor for this—cooking is easy and fun, but I don’t want to make things anymore time-consuming than strictly necessary, you know? Combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 large eggs, 1 tsp salt and 1 cup of milk and blitz for a minute or two. There. Your batter is done.
3.  I like a somewhat bulky gravy, so I’ve cut 2 small red onions in half-quarts. That’s the one thing British and Americans have in common: they call this gravy, while in the Netherlands we simply call this onion sauce.
4.  Combine 2 tbsp all-purpose flour with 1 tsp mustard powder.
5.  Pour the batter around them and pop them back in the oven for 30 minutes. Until the sausages are brown and the Yorkshire pudding batter is all golden-brown and puffy.
6.  Heat 1 oz of butter and sauté the red onions, over low heat, until soft. This will take about 5 to 8 minutes.
7.  Once the onions are all soft and sweet, add your garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes before pouring in the chicken broth. Whisk until it’s a lump-free gravy. Season with salt, black pepper a tiny sprinkling dried thyme.
8.  Finish it with a good splash of worcestershire sauce and 1/2 a tsp coarse mustard (not to be confused with Dijon mustard) and simmer the gravy for a minute or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment