Sunday, April 24, 2011

Cast Iron Potato Kugel

Cast Iron Potato Kugel
Ingredients:
3 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, grated and drained 
3 jalapenos, diced
2 onions, sliced
4 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons potato starch
1/3 cup matzo meal
salt
freshly ground black pepper

canola oil 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Saute the onion and peppers in a 12 inch cast iron skillet. Toss with the remaining ingredients. Pour into the pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden. Slice and serve.

Note: Potato starch and Matzo meal are sold year round but they are especially easy to find (and often on sale) right now because of Passover. I always stock up for the rest of the year, they always have great expiration dates.


My thoughts:
I love the idea of kugel but I am always disappointed. They always seem to end up gummy or mushy instead of creamy or not crispy enough at all. I was trying to think of a good way to get a very crispy outside while still preserving a creamy inside when I thought of my cast iron skillet. It worked perfectly. I wanted it to go with my Tex Mex pot roast so I threw some peppers in with the onions for some punch and sauteed them both to bring out their flavor. Because I used my cast iron skillet, it was super crispy on all sides and the top browned up wonderfully as well. Honestly, I can't put into words how much we liked this! We ate almost the entire pan of it in two days. Shameful, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment