Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Stuffed Apples

I was so excited when I saw this recipe.  I just knew that my family would like it and eat it without complaining.  Unfortunately I was once again mistaken.  However I did detect the problem.  I am ashamed to admit that I used old apples.  I had some kicking around that needed to be used up.  This was not a good plan, because this did NOT bake well.  So while my family enjoyed the stuffing the actual apple was a bit of a flop.  However I think I will try it again with new apples.


Stuffed Apples

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
8 apples (sweet/sour)
2 medium onions
1 1/s tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 heaping tsp paprika powder
1/4 heaping tsp taco seasoning
1 tomato (or 1 tsp tomato paste)
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
worcestershire sauce
cheese
Directions:
1.  Preheat your oven to 350.
2.  Chop one of the onions.
3.  Grab a bowl and combine 1 1/2 tsp salt with 1 heaping tsp sweet paprika, 1 tsp curry powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp cayenne and a heaping 1/4 tsp taco seasoning.
4.  Grate 1 large, or 2 medium, garlic cloves.
5.  Cook the meat until brown and drain the fat.  Once it starts to brown, lower the heat and add the onions and garlic. Cook until the onions are slightly translucent.  Add I tsp tomato paste and a dash of  Worcestershire sauce.
6.  Now add the spice mix we’ve created earlier and 1/4 cup chicken broth. Just let it softly simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated.
7.  Peel your apples and scoop out the flesh.
Get your apples out of their pretty coats, slice their tops off and scoop out the flesh. I’m sure there are easier ways to do this than spooning it out with a dessert spoon, I just can’t think of one right now.
8.  Lightly grease an oven dish. Fill your apples with meat and onion mixture!
9.  Put them in a preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Garnish with some freshly chopped chives or parsley and dig in.

No comments:

Post a Comment