Thursday, June 16, 2011

Shredded Chicken Tortilla Soup

I must confess that I was dissapointed with this soup.  I was working and so I needed something that I could throw in the crock pot and come home to a finished meal since I have been meaning to make this soup for a while it seemed that its time had come.  The original poster spoke so highly of this soup I was excited to try it.  I did not like it at all.  However my kids all ate it with very little complaint, but I will not be making it again.


Shredded Chicken Tortilla Soup

Serves 6




Soup Ingredients:

2 (14.5 oz) cans of diced tomatoes

2 (14.5 oz) cans of reduced sodium chicken broth

2 -3 cloves of garlic, minced

1 T. unsalted butter

1 c. salsa – use your favorite brand

½ c. chopped cilantro

4 carrots, peeled and chopped in ¼ inch thick rounds

2 T. cumin

1/8 t. cinnamon

2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, uncooked



For topping the soup:

1 bag of your favorite tortilla chips – Xochil is gluten-free & my hubby’s favorite

8 oz. Monterey jack cheese, shredded

8 oz. light sour cream

1 avocado, sliced

½ c. cilantro, chopped



Combine all of the soup ingredients except the chicken in a 4 – 6 quart slow cooker. Mix well. Add chicken. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. At this point, the chicken should be cooked and easy to shred. Remove the breasts from the soup and shred with forks. Return to the slow cooker and mix well.



Serve with your choice of topping ingredients. To reduce fat content, you can use reduced fat cheese or no cheese at all. You can also eliminate the avocado. This soup doesn’t need any toppings to taste delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment