Thursday, June 9, 2011

Carrot Potato Cheese Soup with Corn

My kids and I really like thick and creamy soup and I am always looking for ways to 'sneak' in some vegetables, enter this soup.  My family loved this soup with everyone asking for seconds and almost licking thier bowls.  Also, don't worry I did not decieve my kids, I tell them that thier was carrots in the soup, and guess what they ate it anyway and liked it!  I would recommend this soup to anyone with picky eaters, becuase quite frankly what is their not to like about it?  Although next time I think I might add some cooked chicken when I add the corn to boost the protein content. 



Carrot Potato Cheese Soup with Corn
1/4 C. butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 lb. carrots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced (optional)
3 lbs. potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 C. chicken or vegetable stock
1 C. water
12 oz. frozen corn, defrosted
1 T. worcestershire sauce
2 t. mustard powder
1/2 C. cream (optional)
8 oz. extra sharp cheddar, shredded
salt
freshly ground pepper
1. In a large pot, saute the onions and carrots in butter over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes or until just starting to brown.
2. Add garlic and jalapeno (if using) and cook, stirring for one minute.
3. Add potatoes, broth and enough water to barely cover the potatoes (only if needed). Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
4. Remove from heat and pass soup mixture through a food mill. You could also puree in a food processor or blender, or mash in the pot using a potato masher, depending on what consistency you prefer.
5. Return soup to medium-low heat and add corn, worcestershire and mustard powder. Cook, stirring until the corn is heated through.
6. Turn heat to low, stir in cream (if using) and shredded cheddar cheese and stir until cheese is melted and incorporated. Remove from heat.
7. Season with salt and lots of fresh ground pepper.
8. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment