Sunday, August 22, 2010

Smoked Ribs on the BBQ

I have been meaning to try smoking something on the BBQ for awhile (ever since I saw someone do it on a cooking show in the spring), but frankly I never got around to it.  I just could not seem to find a time when I would be home for an afternoon to supervise the smoking process.  Having little kids means I am usually always busy doing something, however yesterday was the day.  I had found some ribs discounted at our local supermarket and decided that that was a good reason to try smoking the ribs.  I started by making the BBQ sauce on Thursday.  Then I rubbed my ribs with the dry spice rub recipe.  Next I made some smoking packets out of tin foil.  You basically made a pocket put some wood chips in that have been soaked in water, seal the pocket with a fold, poke a hole in the top to let the smoke come out and then put it over the heat on the BBQ.  You need to change the smoke packets when then stop smoking so you should have several of these made up.  You then place the ribs over the cold part of the BBQ (the side that the heat is not on).  I cooked and smoked my ribs for four hours and then covered them in my homemade BBQ sauce.  They were juicy and moist.  I think that they turned out pretty good for my first try!  As a side note I served the ribs with a macaroni salad, which was macaroni covered is homemade Caesar dressing.  You can get the Caesar dressing recipe from here.

Smoked Ribs
Original Recipe the Neely's





BBQ Sauce:

2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
5 tablespoons light brown sugar
5 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon ground mustard


In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cooked uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.
Yield: 3 1/2 cups

Ingredients
Dry Rub:
1 1/2 cups paprika
3/4 cup sugar
3 3/4 tablespoons onion powder
2 (about 4 pounds each) slabs beef spareribs
2 (about 3 pounds each) slabs pork spareribs
2 cups Dry Rub
BBQ Sauce
Directions
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a small glass bowl to create the spice rub.
Rinse and the dry ribs, then put on a clean cutting board and pull off the thin fatty skin that lines the underside of the ribs. Trim the ribs of excess fat and meat. Liberally season both sides of the ribs with the spice rub. Wrap the ribs with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours so flavors can develop and permeate the meat.
Soak the wood chips in water for 1 hour before grilling.
Preheat the grill to 250 degrees F. Using the hickory and charcoal, set up the grill for indirect heat.
Arrange the ribs, meatier side down, on the far side of the grill away from the coals. Close the cover of the grill and cook the ribs for 3 hours. Turn and cook until the ribs bend, about 1 more hour.
You will need to check on the charcoal and chips during the smoking process and replenish as needed. You will also need to maintain a temperature of 250 degrees F.
Remove from grill, cut and coat in warn BBQ sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment