Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Creme Brulee Ice-Cream

When I asked my husband how he liked the ice-cream he said that it was good but that I did not make it.  When I told him that I did he thought I was joking.  When I asked him why he said because it tastes store bought.  I am not sure if I should be offended or complemented.  I decided to go with complemented.  This ice-cream is really good and the toffee bits just put the ice-cream over the top.  Here is the original recipe.  However I could not find caster sugar here so I googled it most people said to put regular sugar through the food processor.  While I did this but it still took a LOOOOOONG time to make the toffee.  It took me about an hour but I think that it was worth it in the end.  Happy Eating!








Creme brulée ice cream

Custard:1/2 cup (240ml) whole milk
2 cups (480ml) heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 egg yolks
2/3 cup + 1 tablespoon (145g) white sugar

Toffee:1 cup (200g) caster sugar (put white sugar in food processor and pulse until smaller if you cannot find caster sugar)

To make the custard, place the milk, cream and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat until it just comes to a boil. Place the yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Gradually add the milk mixture, whisking to combine. Return to the saucepan and stir over low heat for 8-10 minutes or until custard is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Strain custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a metal bowl, set aside to cool then refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

To make the toffee, place half the sugar in a small saucepan over low heat until it starts to caramelize; stir and add the remaining sugar, to keep the caramel from burning. Warning this takes a long time. It took me nearly an hour. When it’s completely melted and golden, pour over a piece of foil and set aside to cool. When it’s completely set, use a rolling pin to break the toffee into small bits. Set aside.
Pour the custard into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Scoop the ice cream into a container and stir in the toffee bits. Put in freezer until firm, at least 4 hours.

Serves 4
cooks note: I made this a second time with quick dissolving fruit sugar that I found it cooked really fast. The toffee was made in about five minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment