Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Grilled Tandoori chicken and Steak Pizza

So last week I told you that I recently discovered pizza on the grill and I am loving it.  My sister is over visiting from India and we invited her over for supper tonight.  As it was a special occasion I decided to make my new favourite meal, Grilled Pizza.  However I did have to make it different than last week or else I would have had two meals the same and that is just not allowed.  So change things up I first grilled Tandoori Chicken in honour of her visit from India.  I made a spice rub, rubbed it into the chicken and let it sit for about half an hour and then grilled it.  I think that the chicken tasted really good but she said while it was tasty it did not taste like tandoori chicken, here is the original tandoori chicken recipe.  I little sad but at least it was good.  I topped this pizza with the homemade hummus from last week.   I also made a steak rub and rubbed it into the steak and grilled it off.  This pizza was topped with homemade pesto.  The pesto recipe is listed below.  While I was grilling the meat I also grilled a red pepper, some green onions and a couple of zucchini.

Steak Rub
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground  onion
2 TBSP of vegetable oil

Combine the spices in a small bowl.  Brush both sides of the meat with 2 tablespoons of oil.  Rub remianing spice mixture over steak.  Grill to desired temperature.

Tandoori Chicken


Ingredients
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground ginger
2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground cayenne
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1 tablespoon kosher salt
3 (8-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts

Directions
Heat grill to medium-high. Combine all spices and the oil in a medium bowl to make a paste. Rub a thin layer of the spice paste onto 1 side of each chicken breast. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until slightly charred and just cooked through. Remove from the grill, let rest 5 minutes, and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices.
Pesto
Place 40 grams of basil leaves, 2 TBSP toasted pine nuts, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and 4 TBSP of oil in a food processor and pulse. When combined check the seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed and more oil if needed.
For the pizza:
1store bought or homemade Pizza dough. Heat the grill to high. Roll out the Pizza dough into about 6 inch circles. Brush both sides of the pizzas with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until golden brown on one side, about 2 minutes per side.
Top each pizza with the pesto. For Pizza number 1 arrange any or all of the veggies and thinly sliced steak on top of the pesto and top with the feta cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Place the bread back on the grill, close the cover and grill for 5 minutes to heat through. Repeat this process using thinly sliced chicken instead of the steak.

1 comment:

  1. The Pizza was delicious... I actually think it was a better taste then tandoori chicken more flavourful and something you could serve to a wide variety of people! A good way to start out your foray into Indian cuisine!

    ReplyDelete