Sunday, May 8, 2011

Pasta with Zucchini Sauce

Pasta with Zucchini Sauce

Ingredients:
1 pound pasta
2 zucchini’s
1 medium onion
1 large garlic clove
2 oz bacon
2 oz butter
1 or 2 tbsp oil
3 tbsp flour
1 cup of milk
1/2 vegetable bouillon cube
Parmesan
flat-leaf parsley
salt and pepper
Directions:
Mince the onion.
Wash and dice the zucchini.
I wasn’t meant to be a vegetarian so I add bacon. No overkill; just enough to add some flavor and protein.
Grate the garlic while you’re at it.
Heat 1 or 2 tbsp oil and lightly cook the bacon.
Add the onions and cook for a minute or three.
Add your zucchini.
Add a sprinkling of salt and some pepper. Cook until the zucchini turns soft but not mushy! Add the garlic during the last minute.
Transfer it all to your food processor and blitz.
Cook the pasta (I found spaghetti in my pantry) in salted water along with a tbsp oil according to the instructions on the package.
I want to add a little creaminess to the sauce but I’m not the type to just throw in a cup of cream and call it a day. I’m very attached to my arteries, so I prefer to make a roux based sauce.
Heat 2 oz of butter. Add the flour and let it cook for a minute before pouring in the milk and stirring like a maniac and let it simmer for a minute or two. There’s your cream base. Don’t season it just yet!
Add the zucchini mix to the béchamel sauce.
Stir well.
Add a pinch of salt (we’ll add salty Parmesan as well), some black pepper and half a vegetable bouillon cube. Let the sauce simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
Grate as much, or as little, Parmesan in there as you like. Let it melt into the sauce.
I like to garnish the sauce with a bit of finely minced flat-leaf parsley. Adds a nice earthy tone. Check the seasoning!
There. If that won’t fix a cold or keep you at least somewhat comfortable during one, nothing will, honey.
* serve with warm and crispy garlic & cheese bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment