Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Stuffed Mushroom Caps

The other day when I was at the grocery store that had these lovely portobello mushrooms caps on sale, it think because it is getting colder so people are not barbecuing as much.  Anyway I decided to buy them, bring them home and then decide what to make.  I settled on stuffed mushroom caps and I am glad that I did.  These turned out great and they were really yummy.  These replaced the meat part of our meal for supper but you could also stuff white mushrooms and serve them as a side dish.  However, while my husband and I really enjoyed these my kids chose only to eat the filling.  I do consider this to be a small victory because at least they did eat some of the supper.  


Stuffed Mushroom Caps
6 Large protobello mushroom caps
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove minced
3/4 cups plain white bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Romano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley

1.  Preheat oven to 350 F.  Lightly oil a baking sheet.
2.  Wipe mushrooms with a damp cloth.  Remove the stems and set aside.  
3.  Heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the onion and the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent about 5 minutes.  Add the mushrooms.  Cook stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.  Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
4.  Add the bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper and mix well.
5.  Arrange the mushrooms on the baking sheet.  Fill each cap with the stuffing.  
6.  Bake until stuffing begins to brown about 15 minutes.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment