Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Spicey Shrimp and Rice


We just got back from vacationing in the southern Unitied States were we enjoyed lots of seafood.  While we were there we actually bought shrimp from a roadside stand, like being peaches or corn. It was a little shack that was selling whole shrimps, head on for $6 a pound.  This was probably some of the best shrimp I have ever eaten.  Since we were vacationing with my parents they also enjoyed the shrimp and fish of the south, so for my dad's birthday at home I decided to make him a shrimp dish.  While the dish was yummy, creamy, sour and spicy all in one.  However,  I made one fatal error.  I substituted evaoporated milk for whipping cream.  I forgot that when you use citrus juice you need to use whipping cream or the milk will curdle.  So no that is not cheese on the shrimp it is curdled milk.  So when you make it at home use whipping cream.  Actually when I told my husband what I had done he laughed when he read the recipe.  He could not understand why I was trying to make something with a stick of butter in it healthier by leaving out the cream.  In retrospect I wonder why I bothered as well.   



Original recipe by Giada-de-laurentiis

Ingredients
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, divided, at room temperature
2 cups parboiled long-grain rice, such as Uncle Ben's
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 clove garlic, minced
2 pounds small shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
2 tablespoons of hot sauce
1 cup whipping cream (do not use evaporated milk it will curdle)
Freshly ground black pepper
Directions
In a medium nonstick saucepan, heat 1/2 of the butter over medium-low heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the chicken stock, 1 tablespoon of hot sauce and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 20 to 25 minutes until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed. Remove the pan from the heat and rest covered for 5 minutes.
In a large skillet, melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes until aromatic. Add the shrimp, lemon juice, and the remaining tablespoon of hot sauce. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the shrimp is pink and cooked through. Stir in the cream and heat through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Using a fork, fluff the rice and arrange on a platter. Spoon the shrimp cream sauce over the rice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment