Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Lime Meltaways

I love Christams time.  I love getting together with friends and family.  I love the crafts, baking and decoreating.  I love excitemtn of seeing the kids open thier presents.  I just love celebrating Christ's birth with my family.  On saturday my family started our annual Christmas baking extravaganza.  We were baking machines.  This I decided, unbeknown to my family that we were going to try to bake some new Christmas cookies.  That I was tired of having the same ones every year.  So I will be posting a new recipe everyday until Christmas and telling you which ones were good and which ones were not.  Hope that you enjoy them and that you to are courageous and try something new!
The first one we tired was lime meltaways.  These had a huge lime punch and the tartness was nicely offset my the icing sugar.  This will be a nice foil to other overly sweet treats!


Ingredients

Makes about 10 dozen
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar
Grated zest of 2 limes
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, cream butter and 1/3 cup sugar until fluffy. Add lime zest, juice, and vanilla; beat until fluffy.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add to butter mixture, and beat on low speed until combined.
Between two 8-by-12-inch pieces of parchment paper, roll dough into two 1 1/4-inch-diameter logs. Chill at least 1 hour.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Place remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Remove parchment from logs; slice dough into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Place rounds on baking sheets, spaced 1 inch apart.
Bake cookies until barely golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. While still warm, place cookies in the sugar-filled bag; toss to coat. Bake or freeze remaining dough. Store baked cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment